SS316 Round Wire
The Crazy Wire Company are long established as Europe’s preferred suppliers of top quality SS316 round wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our marine grade woven mesh products.
The SS316 round wire, with a diameter of 0.62mm (22 AWG), is made from marine-grade stainless steel, known for its exceptional corrosion resistance. This makes it ideal for use in harsh environments such as coastal areas and marine environments. Its high tensile strength enables it to endure wear and tear. This makes it an excellent choice for use in construction of supports, cable railings, and balustrades.
Aside from being used for construction, this wire is also widely used in the automotive and aerospace industries because of its ability to resist extreme temperatures. Medical applications of this substance include surgical tools and implants, which benefit from its biocompatibility and sterilisation resistance. SS316 round wire is also used for electronics because of its conductivity and heat resistance, and in jewelry-making because of its pliability. Strength, flexibility, and corrosion resistance make SS316 round wire a versatile component throughout a wide range of industries.
The details of this product are as follows:
- Diameter – 0.62mm (620 Micron – 22AWG)
- Ohms/ft – 2.55
- Iron (Fe): 66.5% to 74%
- Chromium (Cr): 16% to 18%
- Nickel (Ni): 10% to 14%
- Molybdenum (Mo): 2% to 3%
- Manganese (Mn): 2% max
- Silicon (Si): 1% max
- Carbon (C): 0.08% max
- Sulfur (S): 0.03% max
- Phosphorus (P): 0.045% max
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
We also offer stainless steel in ribbon and flat wire options.
The choice is virtually endless!
FAQs About This Wire
What Can 316 Wire Be Used For?
0.62mm 316 stainless steel wire is a thicker wire compared to 0.39mm wire, and is used in applications that require a strong and corrosion-resistant material. Some common uses for 0.62mm 316 stainless steel wire include:
- Industrial applications: Due to its strength and corrosion resistance, 0.62mm 316 stainless steel wire is often used in industrial applications, such as in the production of small parts and components, and in the construction of heavy equipment and machinery.
- Marine environments: This type of steel is resistant to pitting and crevice corrosion. This makes it ideal for use in marine environments like ship hulls, decks and superstructures, as well as in marine hardware and fittings.
- Chemical processing: 316 stainless steel wire can withstand exposure to a wide range of chemicals. This makes it suitable for use in chemical processing applications.
- Food and Beverage industry: Due to its corrosion resistance and ability to withstand high temperatures, 316 stainless steel wire is often used in food and beverage processing equipment.
- Pharmaceuticals: 316 stainless steel wire is often used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals due to its non-toxic properties and resistance to corrosion.
- Pulp and paper industry: This steel is also used in the production of pulps, papers due to its corrosion resistance and strength.
- Power generation: 316 stainless steel wire is also used in power generation facilities, as it can withstand high temperatures and exposure to corrosive environments.
- Architectural and construction: due to its strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion, 0.62mm 316 stainless steel wire can also be used in architectural and construction applications, such as in the construction of buildings and bridges.
- Automotive: it can also be used in automotive industry, as it can withstand high temperatures and exposure to corrosive environments, and it is also used in the construction of exhaust systems.
- Medical equipment : it is used in Medical equipment as well as surgical instruments, due to its non-toxic and corrosion resistance properties.
Does Stainless Steel Wire Rust?
Stainless steel wire is highly resistant to rust and corrosion, but it is not completely immune to these processes. The resistance to rust and corrosion depends on the grade of stainless steel used, as well as the environment in which the wire is used.
Stainless steel wire contains chromium, which forms a thin, invisible layer of chromium oxide on the surface of the wire that helps protect it from rust and corrosion. This layer is self-repairing and can help prevent rust even if the wire is scratched or damaged.
However, in certain environments, such as in areas with high humidity, saltwater exposure, or high levels of pollutants, the protective layer may break down and the wire may be more susceptible to rust and corrosion.
To ensure maximum corrosion resistance, it is important to select the appropriate grade of stainless steel wire for the specific application and to follow proper maintenance and cleaning procedures. With the right grade and care, stainless steel wire can provide excellent resistance to rust and corrosion. This makes it a popular choice for a wide range of applications in many different industries.
Can I Solder Using 316 Stainless Steel Wire?
It is generally not recommended to solder 316 stainless steel wire using traditional soldering methods, as stainless steel has poor thermal conductivity and tends to dissipate heat quickly. This means that it can be difficult to heat the wire evenly and achieve a strong, durable solder joint.
However, there are alternative methods that can be used to join 316 stainless steel wire, such as welding or brazing. Welding involves melting the metal of the wire and fusing it together with a filler metal, while brazing involves heating the wire and applying a filler metal to create a strong joint.
If a solder joint is required, it may be possible to use a specialised solder designed for use with stainless steel, such as a silver-based solder, but it is important to carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take extra care to ensure that the wire is heated evenly to avoid weakening or damaging the wire.
Does Stainless Steel Wire Conduct Electricity?
Yes, stainless steel wire does conduct electricity, but the electrical conductivity of stainless steel wire can vary depending on the specific grade of stainless steel and the diameter of the wire.
Stainless steel wire typically has lower electrical conductivity than other metals, such as copper or aluminium. This is due in part to the presence of chromium in stainless steel, which is not as conductive as other metals. However, the high resistivity of stainless steel can also make it useful in certain applications, such as resistive heating elements or other applications where a certain amount of electrical resistance is desired.
Stainless steel wire can also be coated with materials such as nickel or silver to improve its electrical conductivity. The coating helps reduce the resistivity of the wire and can make it more suitable for certain applications where higher conductivity is required.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, FeCrAl, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘What You Need To Know About: Stainless Steel Wires’ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.