Round Stainless Steel 316 Wire
The Crazy Wire Company are long established as Europe’s preferred suppliers of top quality stainless steel 316 wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our marine grade woven mesh products.
A stainless steel 316 wire in the 0.45mm (25 AWG) size is a highly durable and versatile product made with marine-grade SS316 stainless steel. The material is corrosion-resistant and ideal for harsh environments, especially marine applications that are exposed to saltwater. The strength and resistance of this material to chemicals and high temperatures make it suitable for applications in the industrial, automotive, and aerospace sectors.
The thin diameter of this wire ensures a good balance between flexibility and strength, making it ideal for both delicate and robust applications. The non-reactive nature of the material is crucial for surgical instruments and implants in the medical field. These stainless steel 316 wires offer practical and cost-effective material solutions for various industries, providing a reliable and durable choice.
The details of this product are as follows:
- Diameter – 0.45mm (450 Micron – 25AWG)
- Ohms/ft – 4.85
- Iron (Fe): 66.5% to 74%
- Chromium (Cr): 16% to 18%
- Nickel (Ni): 10% to 14%
- Molybdenum (Mo): 2% to 3%
- Manganese (Mn): 2% max
- Silicon (Si): 1% max
- Carbon (C): 0.08% max
- Sulfur (S): 0.03% max
- Phosphorus (P): 0.045% max
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
We also offer stainless steel in ribbon and flat wire options.
The choice is virtually endless!
FAQs About This Wire
What Is The Use Of Stainless Steel Wires?
Stainless steel wires have a variety of uses due to their unique properties, which include high corrosion resistance, strength, ductility, and ability to be easily formed into different shapes. Some common uses of stainless steel wires include:
- Aerospace and aviation industries – for aircraft cable and tie-downs
- Medical industry – for surgical instruments and medical implants
- Construction industry – for reinforcing concrete structures
- Automotive industry – for springs and exhaust systems
- Food processing industry – for conveyor belts and food handling equipment
- Jewellery making – for creating high-end jewellery and other accessories
- Household applications – for wire mesh, kitchen utensils, and appliances
- Marine industry – for rigging and other applications that require high resistance to saltwater corrosion.
How Strong Is A Steel Wire?
The strength of a steel wire can vary depending on its diameter, the type of steel used, and the manufacturing process. However, in general, steel wires are known for their high strength and durability.
Tensile strength is a common measure of a wire’s strength, and it refers to the maximum amount of tensile stress the wire can withstand before breaking. The tensile strength of a steel wire can range from around 1000 MPa to over 3000 MPa, depending on the grade of steel used.
For example, high-tensile steel wires used in applications such as cable-stayed bridges or suspension bridges can have tensile strengths in excess of 2000 MPa. On the other hand, a low-carbon steel wire used in a garden fence might have a tensile strength of around 300-500 MPa.
Can I Straighten Stainless Steel Wire?
Yes, stainless steel wire can be straightened. The process of straightening the wire will depend on the level of curvature or bend in the wire.
For mild bends or curves, you can use your hands or pliers to carefully straighten the wire. However, for more severe bends or kinks, you may need to use specialized tools such as wire straighteners or rollers. These tools are specifically designed to straighten wires and can help you achieve a smooth and uniform result.
It is important to be gentle and avoid overworking the wire as excessive bending or straightening can cause the wire to weaken or break. Additionally, for some applications, such as medical or aerospace, strict guidelines and regulations must be followed when straightening the wire to ensure the wire maintains its intended mechanical properties and specifications.
How Do You Treat Steel To Make Spring Steel Products?
To make spring steel products, steel is typically treated through a process called heat treatment. This process involves heating the steel to a specific temperature and then cooling it down in a controlled manner to alter its physical properties.
Here are the typical steps involved in treating steel to make spring steel products:
- Annealing: The first step is to anneal the steel, which involves heating it to a specific temperature and holding it there for a period of time to reduce internal stress and make the steel easier to work with.
- Forming: The steel is then formed into the desired shape, such as a spring.
- Quenching: Next, the steel is rapidly cooled in a quenching medium, such as water, oil, or air, to harden it.
- Tempering: Finally, the hardened steel is tempered by heating it to a specific temperature and holding it there for a period of time to reduce brittleness and improve toughness.
The specific temperatures and times used in each step can vary depending on the type of steel and the desired properties of the spring. The resulting spring steel product will have high strength and good elasticity, making it well-suited for a variety of applications where resilience and durability are important.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, FeCrAl, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘What You Need To Know About: Stainless Steel Wires’ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.