316L Ribbon Flat Wire
The 316L ribbon flat wire, measuring 0.8mm x 0.2mm, is a versatile and durable product made from marine-grade stainless steel. Flat wires like this one are renowned for their corrosion resistance. They are the ideal choice for harsh environments. This material is commonly used to construct meshes and filters, electronics, and precision engineering due to its excellent conductivity and thermal properties. This metal is highly corrosion-resistant, making it suitable for marine rigging and cables because of its saltwater corrosion resistance. Biocompatibility plays an important role in the medical field as well, especially in the field of surgical instruments and implants. Furthermore, it has a strong aesthetic appeal, which makes it a popular material for jewelry making. Aside from its strength and corrosion resistance, this wire is also extremely useful in the automotive and construction industries, particularly in coastal areas.
Specification of Wire:
- Diameter – 0.8mm x 0.2mm
- Ohms/ft – 4.69
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
We also offer stainless steel in ribbon and flat wire options.
The choice is virtually endless!
FAQs About This Wire
How Does Temperature Affect The Properties Of 316L Ribbon Flat Wire?
Variations in temperature can have a significant impact on the properties of 316L ribbon flat wire. Extreme temperatures can still cause changes to this stainless steel variant, despite its good thermal resistance. As an example, 316L stainless steel expands when heated and contracts when cooled, which is crucial for precision applications. Despite having good strength at elevated temperatures, its strength may diminish above 500°C (932°F). Although it has excellent corrosion resistance across a wide temperature range, prolonged exposure to very high temperatures might reduce its oxidation resistance. It may also become slightly magnetic when cold worked or exposed to very low temperatures, although 316L is normally non-magnetic. As temperature increases, its electrical and thermal conductivity also increases, resulting in an increase in electrical resistance. A wire’s structural integrity and performance in applications with significant temperature fluctuations depend on these factors.
How Do You Safely Handle And Store 316L Ribbon Flat Wire?
- Wear Appropriate Protective Gear: Always wear gloves to protect your hands from sharp edges. Safety glasses should also be worn to protect your eyes from any potential wire snaps or debris.
- Avoid Kinking and Bending: The ribbon wire should be handled gently to prevent kinking or bending. Excessive bending can weaken the wire and may lead to fractures.
- Proper Uncoiling and Recoiling: When uncoiling the wire, do it slowly and methodically to prevent tangles and knots. Similarly, recoil it carefully after use to maintain its flat shape and integrity.
- Dry and Clean Storage: Store the 316L ribbon flat wire in a dry, clean environment to maintain its corrosion resistance. Exposure to moisture or corrosive elements can damage the wire over time.
- Use Suitable Reels or Spools: For larger quantities, it’s advisable to store the wire on reels or spools that support its weight and maintain its shape without causing stress or deformation.
- Keep Away from Reactive Chemicals: Store the wire away from chemicals, particularly strong acids or bases, which could react with the stainless steel.
- Regular Inspections: Regularly inspect the stored wire for any signs of wear, corrosion, or damage, especially if stored for extended periods.
- Controlled Environment: If possible, maintain a controlled environment for storage, with consistent temperature and humidity levels, to preserve the wire’s properties.
- Access Control: Limit access to the storage area to trained personnel to avoid mishandling or accidental damage.
Is 316L Ribbon Flat Wire Compatible With Acidic Environments?
Yes, 316L ribbon flat wire is compatible with acidic environments, attributed to its superior corrosion resistance. This is due to the molybdenum content in 316L stainless steel, which enhances its resistance to chlorides and acidic corrosion. The lower carbon content in the ‘L’ grade minimises carbide precipitation, further improving its suitability in high-temperature, acidic conditions. While 316L performs well against various organic and inorganic acids, including sulfuric, hydrochloric, and phosphoric acids, the level of resistance can vary based on the acid’s concentration and temperature. Despite its robustness, in extremely harsh acidic environments, 316L ribbon flat wire may still be susceptible to corrosion. Thus, for particularly aggressive conditions, it’s recommended to consult with materials experts or conduct specific tests to ensure the wire’s compatibility and longevity.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, FeCrAl, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘What You Need To Know About: Stainless Steel Wires’ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.