Ni90 Resistance Wire
The Crazy Wire Company is best know as suppliers of top-quality Ni90 resistance wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our specialist-grade woven mesh products. Our brilliant staff are experts in producing our spools of round wire on our 6 rapid action winding machines. All spools are produced to carry a little extra length to make up for any waste when handling the product.
Theresistance wire, with a specification of 0.13mm or 36 AWG, is an advanced Nickel-Chrome alloy designed for specialised applications that demand consistent conductivity and durability. This wire boasts a high melting point and excellent resistance to oxidation at elevated temperatures, ensuring longevity and reliability. Ni90 resistance wire has exceptional thermal stability, which is one of its most significant benefits. Due to its high heat capacity, it is ideal for the heating elements of small and large-scale electrical appliances, such as ovens, toasters, and industrial heaters.
Furthermore, the alloy has a low electrical resistance, so it efficiently conducts electricity, resulting in energy savings. Its consistent resistance properties make it an ideal choice for specialised electrical and electronic projects. This wire is essential for industries like sensors and instrumentation where accurate resistance measurements are crucial. Its mechanical properties also make it a good choice in applications involving physical stress, since it is able to withstand wear and tear better than many alternatives.
Key product details:
- Diameter – 0.13mm (130 Micron – 36 AWG)
- Ohms/m – 50.85
- Technical Specification:
- Ni – Rest
- Cr – 10.0
- Fe – <1.0
- Magnetic Properties – Nonmagnetic
- Electrical resistance is high
- Corrosion resistance is high
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
FAQs About This Wire
Is There A Specific Way To Store Ni90 Resistance Wire?
- Dry Environment: Always store the wire in a dry and cool place. Exposure to moisture can cause oxidation, which can alter the wire’s resistance properties over time.
- Original Packaging: If possible, retain the original packaging. This can prevent the wire from getting tangled or damaged.
- Avoid Chemical Exposure: Ensure the storage area is free from chemicals or corrosive agents that could harm the wire’s surface.
- Temperature: While Ni90 resistance wire has a high melting point, it’s still beneficial to store it away from direct sunlight or heat sources to preserve its integrity.
- Coiling: If the wire is not on a spool, coil it loosely. Over-tight coiling can stress the wire and potentially change its resistance properties.
- Labeling: If you have multiple types of wires, it’s a good practice to label them clearly to avoid confusion later.
- Physical Protection: Store the wire in a place where it won’t be subjected to unnecessary physical stress or potential damage from falling objects or heavy equipment.
Can I Use Ni90 Wire In Humid Conditions?
Resistance wire made from Ni90 can be used in humid conditions, but there are some considerations to keep in mind. Due to its resistance to oxidation and corrosion, Ni90, a Nickel-Chrome alloy, is relatively stable in humid environments. The longer you are exposed to high humidity, the higher the risk of corrosion, especially if there are other corrosive agents present. Continuous moisture and other environmental stressors can compromise the wire’s performance and longevity. To ensure the wire is adequately protected or insulated in humid environments, ensure it is appropriately insulated. A periodic check for oxidation, corrosion, or wear is also recommended.
What Are The Common Signs Of Wear Or Damage In Ni90 Wire?
- Discoloration: Over time, and especially when exposed to high temperatures repeatedly, Ni90 wire might develop a change in color, moving towards a darker hue or exhibiting uneven coloring.
- Brittleness: If the wire becomes brittle and breaks easily when bent, it might be an indication that it has been overused or exposed to temperatures beyond its limit.
- Oxidation: While Ni90 is resistant to oxidation, in extreme conditions or after prolonged use, a thin layer of oxide might form on the surface. This can appear as a dull, matte finish compared to the usual shiny surface.
- Inconsistent Resistance: If the wire’s resistance becomes inconsistent or deviates from its expected value, there might be underlying damage. This can be checked using a multimeter.
- Physical Damage: Visible nicks, cuts, or any form of abrasions on the wire’s surface indicate physical damage, potentially compromising its performance.
- Hotspots: When powered, if certain areas of the wire heat up significantly faster or glow brighter than others, it might be an indication of damage or uneven wear.
- Corrosion: In highly corrosive or humid environments, you might notice spots or patches of corrosion, which can appear as greenish or whitish deposits.
- Tangling or Kinking: If the wire gets tangled or forms kinks, it might lead to localised stress points, increasing the risk of breaks or performance inconsistencies.
- Reduced Flexibility: A noticeable reduction in the wire’s flexibility might indicate underlying structural changes, often resulting from prolonged exposure to adverse conditions.
Is Ni90 Resistance Wire Suitable For Both AC And DC Currents?
Yes, Ni90 resistance wire is suitable for both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) applications. The inherent properties of Ni90, such as its consistent resistance, high melting point, and resistance to oxidation, make it a versatile choice for various electrical applications. Whether used in an AC or DC circuit, the wire’s primary role is to resist the flow of electric current, generating heat in the process. In heating elements, for example, this heat is harnessed for practical purposes like warming spaces or cooking. It’s important to note, however, that the design and configuration of the circuit or device might differ based on whether it’s intended for AC or DC use. When using Ni90 resistance wire in any application, ensure that it’s appropriately rated for the intended voltage and current to ensure safe and efficient operation.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, fecral, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘Everything That You Need To Know About Wire‘ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.