18AWG Nichrome Resistance Wire
The Crazy Wire Company are best known as suppliers of top quality 18AWG nichrome resistance heating wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our high-specification woven mesh products. Our brilliant staff are experts in producing our spools of round wire on our 6 rapid action winding machines. All spools are produced to carry a little extra length to make up for any waste when handling the product.
The 1mm (18AWG) Ni80 Nichrome resistance wire is a precision-engineered product, blending nickel and chromium to createWith its rapid ramp-up time, this 18AWG wire is perfect for applications that require rapid temperatures and temperature consistency. The wire is resistant to oxidation, which not only enhances its lifespan but also reduces its maintenance needs significantly compared to other wire types.
Most commonly used in electronics, this wire is an excellent choice for constructing heating elements in household appliances, including toasters and hairdryers. Industrial applications of its stability and robust performance have included furnace heaters and kiln elements, among other things. As a result of the wire’s inherent malleability, it is suitable for detailed projects, catering to artisans seeking precision. The aerospace sector, which places a high value on resilience and dependability, also benefits from its consistent performance.
Key product details:
- Diameter – 1mm (1000 Micron – 18AWG)
- Ohms/m – 1.44
- Technical Specification:
- Ni – Rest
- Cr – 20.0 – 23.0
- Fe – <1.0
- Max Continuous Service Temp Of Element – 1200
- Micrographic Structure – Austenite
- Magnetic Properties – Nonmagnetic
- Electrical resistance is high
- Corrosion resistance is high
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
FAQs About This Wire
Can I Cut 18 AWG Nichrome Wire?
Yes, you can cut 18 AWG wire using a variety of tools, including wire cutters, wire strippers, or pliers. When cutting 18 AWG wire, it is important to use a tool that is designed for the specific size and type of wire, as well as one that is in good condition. This will help ensure that the wire is cut cleanly and without damaging the conductors inside.
When cutting wire, it is also important to take safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and protective eyewear, to protect yourself from cuts and scrapes. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the wire is properly supported during the cutting process to prevent it from snapping or fraying.
For most applications, it is recommended to use a wire cutter that is specifically designed for cutting 18 AWG wire, as this will help ensure clean, precise cuts every time. Some wire cutters may also have features that make it easier to hold the wire in place during the cutting process, such as a clamp or a locking mechanism.
What Is The True Value For Resistivity Of Nichrome Wire?
The resistivity of 18awg nichrome wire depends on several factors, including the specific composition of the wire and the temperature. The resistivity of nichrome is usually expressed in units of ohm-meters (Ω-m) and can range from about 1.0 Ω-m to 1.5 Ω-m.
It is important to note that the resistivity of nichrome wire is not a fixed value, but rather a value that changes with temperature. As the temperature of the nichrome wire increases, its resistivity will also increase. This temperature dependence of resistivity is an important consideration when using nichrome wire as a heating element, as it can affect the wire’s performance and stability.
In order to determine the exact resistivity of a particular nichrome wire, it is necessary to perform tests and measurements under specific conditions, such as temperature, composition, and wire diameter. These tests can be performed using specialized equipment and should be performed by experienced technicians in a controlled laboratory environment.
What Can Be Used Instead Of Nichrome Wire?
There are several alternatives to nichrome wire that can be used for heating elements and similar applications, including:
- KA1 wire: KA1 wire is a type of iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloy that is often used as a substitute for nichrome wire. It has a similar resistivity to nichrome and is widely used in applications such as heating elements, electric stoves, and hot plates.
- Stainless steel wire: Stainless steel wire, particularly type 304 or type 316, is another alternative to nichrome wire. Although it has a higher resistivity than nichrome, it is more corrosion-resistant and can be used in damp or corrosive environments.
- Copper wire: Copper wire is a widely used electrical conductor that has a lower resistivity than nichrome. Although it is not as good a conductor as nichrome, it is often used in applications that require lower resistance heating elements, such as electric stoves or hot plates.
- Molybdenum disilicide (MoSi2) wire: MoSi2 wire is a refractory metal that is widely used in high-temperature applications. It has a high melting point and a relatively low resistivity, making it a good alternative to Nichrome for applications that require high-temperature heating elements.
Is Nichrome Wire Aluminium?
Check out our blog ‘what is nichrome‘ for more information on ni80 wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.