Ni90 Heat Treatment Wire
The Crazy Wire Company are well known as suppliers of top quality Ni90 heat treatment wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our high specification woven mesh products. Our brilliant staff are experts in producing our spools of round wire on our 6 rapid action winding machines. All spools are produced to carry a little extra length to make up for any waste when handling the product.
Specifically designed for heat treatment applications, Ni90 heat treatment wire is 0.9mm (19 gauge) nichrome wire of premium quality. With its high resistance to heat and oxidation, this wire has long-lasting durability and consistent performance. Because Ni90 is composed of 90% nickel, the wire provides enhanced electrical conductivity, thus allowing efficient heat generation. The versatility of this material makes it ideal for a wide range of industrial and commercial applications, including heaters, furnaces, kilns, and specialised electrical circuits. Moreover, the wire’s resistance to sagging and distortion at elevated temperatures ensures minimal maintenance, reducing operating costs over time. Ni90 heat treatment wire offers excellent thermal properties, as well as outstanding mechanical strength, making it suitable for applications requiring robust and reliable wire performance. The material is also malleable and easy to shape, so it can be used in intricate designs without compromising its integrity.
Key product details:
- Diameter – 0.9mm (900 Micron – 19 AWG)
- Ohms/m – 1.03
- Technical Specification:
- Ni – Rest
- Cr – 10.0
- Fe – <1.0
- Magnetic Properties – Nonmagnetic
- Electrical resistance is high
- Corrosion resistance is high
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
FAQs About This Wire
How Is Ni90 Wire Resistant To Oxidation?
Ni90 heat treatment wire, composed of 90% nickel, possesses inherent resistance to oxidation due to its high nickel content. As nickel is exposed to oxygen at elevated temperatures, a thin layer of oxide forms on its surface. By acting as a barrier, this oxide layer prevents further oxidation of the underlying metal. Thus, Ni90 wire retains its structural integrity and electrical properties regardless of whether it is exposed to high temperatures for an extended period of time. Among its benefits is its resistance to oxidation, making it a favorite among heat treatment applications that require consistent performance and long lasting materials.
What Precautions Should Be Taken To Avoid Overloading Ni90 Wire?
- Know the Wire’s Limits: Familiarise yourself with the wire’s specific electrical and thermal properties. This includes its maximum current rating, resistance per unit length, and maximum temperature threshold.
- Proper Calculation: Before application, calculate the expected current flow and ensure it is below the wire’s rated capacity. Overloading can cause the wire to overheat, potentially leading to failure or creating a fire hazard.
- Use a Current Regulator: Implement a current regulator or a control system to maintain the current within safe limits, especially in variable load scenarios.
- Regular Inspections: Periodically check the wire for any signs of damage, wear, or corrosion. Damaged wires can have decreased resistance, leading to increased current flow and potential overloading.
- Adequate Spacing: When installing multiple strands or coils of Ni90 wire, ensure adequate spacing between them to prevent localised overheating.
- Avoid Sharp Bends: While installing, avoid sharp bends or kinks in the wire, which can create hotspots and increase the risk of overloading at those points.
- Environment Monitoring: Monitor the environment in which the wire is used. If the surrounding temperature is too high, it can add to the wire’s temperature and risk of overloading.
- Safety Devices: Utilise fuses, circuit breakers, or thermal cutoffs designed to interrupt the current flow if it exceeds safe limits.
- Regular Testing: Occasionally test the wire’s resistance using an ohmmeter to ensure it remains consistent. A sudden drop in resistance can indicate potential issues.
- Manufacturer’s Guidelines: Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding the safe operational limits of the Ni90 wire and adhere to the recommended precautions.
What Safety Gear Should I Use When Handling Ni90 Wire?
- Safety Gloves: Wear insulating gloves, preferably made of rubber or another non-conductive material, to protect against potential sharp edges of the wire, as well as any heat if the wire has recently been in use.
- Safety Glasses or Goggles: These will protect your eyes from any potential wire splinters, especially if cutting or shaping the wire.
- Heat-Resistant Clothing: If you’re working with the wire in an environment where it might be hot, wearing heat-resistant clothing can protect against burns.
- Closed-Toe Shoes: These can protect your feet from any dropped tools or pieces of wire.
- Ear Protection: If you’re cutting the wire or working with machinery, ear protection can help protect against high noise levels.
- Dust Mask: If you’re doing any grinding or activities that might produce fine particles, a mask can prevent inhalation.
- Fire-Resistant Apron: Especially beneficial if you’re soldering or welding the wire.
- Safety Helmet: If you’re working in an environment with overhead hazards, a helmet can protect your head from potential impacts.
- Face Shield: Provides additional protection to the entire face during activities like grinding or cutting.
- Fire Extinguisher: Always have a suitable fire extinguisher nearby when working with electrical or heat-producing components.
- First Aid Kit: Ensure a well-stocked first aid kit is on hand for any minor injuries that might occur during handling or installation.
Can Ni90 Heat Treatment Wire Be Used With Dimmer Circuits?
Yes, Ni90 heat treatment wire can bedimmer circuits. Using Ni90 wire in dimmer circuits lets you control the amount of current flowing through it by varying the voltage. In turn, this modulates the heat produced by the wire. However, the dimmer circuit and its components must be rated to handle the maximum current and power the Ni90 wire can draw. When using a dimmer with Ni90 wire, you can control the heat output precisely, making it ideal for applications requiring a range of temperatures. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to monitor the wire regularly for any signs of wear or damage, as frequent adjustments can lead to increased stress on the wire over time. As always, for optimal safety and performance, adhere to manufacturer guidelines and ensure the circuit is appropriately designed and tested for the specific application.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, fecral, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘Everything That You Need To Know About Wire‘ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.