28AWG Stainless Steel Wire
The Crazy Wire Company are long established as Europe’s preferred suppliers of top quality stainless steel 28AWG SS316L wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our marine grade woven mesh products.
TheSS316L marine grade stainless steel wire is renowned for its robust and anti-corrosive properties, standing out as a fundamental component in various industries due to its formidable resistance to harsh environmental elements, particularly salinity. With a precision diameter of 0.315mm, this wire provides a reliable solution for marine construction and maintenance, including safety barriers, rigging, and marine architecture.
Its notable anti-corrosive properties are not only pivotal in maritime applications but also in industrial settings. This is especially in chemical processing plants, where machinery and structures are perpetually exposed to potentially corrosive chemical agents. This ensures longevity and maintaining integrity under stressful conditions. Electronics manufacturing, repair, and maintenance rely heavily on 28awg wire for creating durable and low-resistance electrical connections in a multitude of devices and circuits. As a durable, yet elegant material for various jewelry designs, SS316L wire also has a place in the jewelry industry. This is thanks to its aesthetic and resilient nature.
Specification of Wire:
- Diameter – 0.315mm (315 Micron – 28AWG)
- Ohms/ft – 9.62
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
The choice is virtually endless!
FAQs About This Wire
How Do I Select The Appropriate Wire Gauge For My Project?
Selecting the correct wire gauge for your project involves a comprehensive evaluation of various critical factors to ensure optimal functionality, safety, and longevity. Begin by meticulously determining the electrical load the wire will carry, being particularly vigilant in applications that involve power transmission to circumvent overheating risks. Concurrently, understanding the wire’s resistance is vital, notably in applications like heating elements or where minimising energy loss is pivotal.
Environmental considerations, such as corrosion resistance, temperature tolerances, and resistance to potential chemical or UV exposure, should be rigorously assessed, ensuring the wire can withstand the specific conditions of its intended application. Equally crucial is examining the wire’s physical strength and flexibility, ensuring it can bear any mechanical loads or navigate through any necessary bends and routings.
Compliance with safety standards and industry-specific regulations must be upheld, guaranteeing that your wire choice adheres to all pertinent legal and safety prerequisites. Acknowledging the wire’s length, ensuring that voltage drop over distance is accounted for in longer runs, especially in power transmission scenarios, is vital.
Compatibility with other materials, aesthetics, functional requirements, and project budget also play instrumental roles in the decision-making process, demanding a careful balancing act to meet performance requirements while adhering to financial constraints. Engaging with a materials engineer or a professional with expertise in wire applications can offer invaluable insights and validate your wire selection, ensuring a harmonious blend of safety, performance, and fiscal prudence in your project.
Is 28awg SS316L Wire Compatible With Other Metals?
SS316L wire of 28awg is generally compatible with other metals, but different environmental factors and applications can influence its interaction. 316L stainless steel is widely used in applications in which it may be in contact with other materials due to its low carbon content and corrosion resistance. Certain environments, such as those that are highly corrosive, may cause galvanic corrosion when different metals come into contact. Compatibility of SS316L with other metals can also be affected by factors such as physical contact, electrolyte presence, and metal type. In practical applications, it is often recommended to consult a metallurgist or corrosion engineer, especially in critical applications where the integrity of metals and alloys is paramount, to ensure that your chosen metal will perform as expected. Any project involving metals should always take into account the use-case scenario, operational environment, and potential risk factors.
What Are The Alternatives To 28awg SS316L Wire For Marine Use?
For marine applications, where durability and resistance to corrosive environments are paramount, several alternatives to the 28awg SS316L wire might be considered, each with its own set of properties and potential applications:
- SS304 Stainless Steel Wire: Although not as corrosion-resistant as SS316L, SS304 may be suitable for certain marine applications, providing a balance between performance and cost.
- SS317L Stainless Steel Wire: Offers enhanced corrosion resistance compared to SS316L, especially against chlorides and other harsh chemicals.
- Monel Wire (Monel 400): Noted for its excellent corrosion resistance and is often used in marine engineering for its ability to withstand seawater.
- Titanium Wire: Known for its impressive strength-to-weight ratio and excellent corrosion resistance, especially in saltwater environments.
- Aluminum Wire: Particularly marine-grade aluminum (like 5052 or 5083 alloys), which is known for its good resistance to saltwater corrosion and is lighter than stainless steel.
- Nickel Alloy Wire: Certain nickel alloys are renowned for their resistance to corrosion and can handle high-temperature environments.
- Galvanised Steel Wire: While it doesn’t offer the same level of corrosion resistance as SS316L, it is often used in marine environments for various applications due to its enhanced durability over regular steel.
- Bronze Wire: Phosphor bronze, in particular, finds its use in marine applications due to its resistance to corrosion, wear, and fatigue.
- Copper-Nickel Alloys: Widely used in shipbuilding and marine applications due to their excellent resistance to seawater corrosion.
- Plastic or Nylon Coated Wire: Sometimes, wires with a protective plastic or nylon coating might be used in certain marine applications where electrical insulation and additional corrosion resistance are necessary.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, FeCrAl, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘What You Need To Know About: Stainless Steel Wires’ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.