Ni90 Nichrome Resistance Wire
The Crazy Wire Company is best know as suppliers of top-quality nichrome resistance wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our specialist-grade woven mesh products. Our brilliant staff are experts in producing our spools of round wire on our 6 rapid action winding machines. All spools are produced to carry a little extra length to make up for any waste when handling the product.
The 0.1mm (38 AWG) Ni90 nichrome resistance wire is a high-quality, durable alloy wire designed for various electrical and heating applications. It is a nichrome resistance wire because it combines nickel and chromium to achieve superior electrical resistance. Heat resistance is one of its biggest advantages. This makes it ideal for applications requiring a consistent temperature output. Because of the wire’s thin diameter, specifically at 0.1mm, its performance is precise and consistent. It is well-suited for use in laboratory experiments, precision heaters, and custom electronics, where precision is essential.
As a result of the Ni90 composition, there is a higher resistance per length compared to other commonly used materials, enabling more efficient energy usage. Also, the wire exhibits exceptional resistance to oxidation. This means it will maintain structural integrity even when exposed to high temperatures for extended periods. Its longevity makes it ideal for using in devices that have long lifespans. The ease of use and malleability of this material make it a preferred choice among professionals.
Key product details:
- Diameter – 0.1mm (100 Micron – 38 AWG)
- Ohms/m – 85.68
- Technical Specification:
- Ni – Rest
- Cr – 10.0
- Fe – <1.0
- Magnetic Properties – Nonmagnetic
- Electrical resistance is high
- Corrosion resistance is high
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
FAQs About This Wire
What Is Nichrome Resistance Wire Made Of?
Nichrome resistance wire is primarily composed of nickel and chromium. As a result of this unique combination, the wire has distinctive properties. As a result of the nickel content, it has high electrical resistance, while the chromium content boosts its temperature resistance, so it is less likely to oxidize at high temperatures. Because of this alloy composition, nichrome wire maintains its structural integrity and resists corrosion even after prolonged exposure to high temperatures, making it ideal for electrical and heating applications. The name “nichrome” originates from the alloy’s two main constituents: nickel and chromium. Nickel and chromium percentages may vary slightly depending on the grade, but the fundamental properties remain the same.
What Is The Maximum Operating Temperature For Ni90 Nichrome Wire?
The maximum operating temperature for Ni90 nichrome wire is determined by its specific alloy composition and the application’s surrounding conditions. Generally, Ni90, which denotes 90% nickel content, can consistently operate at temperatures up to 1,200°C (2,192°F). This high-temperature threshold is attributed to its chromium content, which helps the wire resist oxidation and maintain its structural integrity even under prolonged heat exposure. However, it’s essential to consider other factors when determining the exact maximum operating temperature for specific applications. Factors such as the wire’s environment, the duration of heat exposure, and any external stresses or strains can influence the wire’s overall performance. For the most accurate temperature rating and to ensure longevity and safety, always refer to the manufacturer’s specifications and guidelines for the particular Ni90 nichrome wire being used.
How Long Does Nichrome Resistance Wire Typically Last?
The longevity of nichrome resistance wire depends on several factors, including its specific use, the environment it’s exposed to, the frequency of its operation, and the electrical load it bears. Generally, nichrome wire is known for its durability, especially in high-temperature applications. When used properly and under optimal conditions, nichrome wire can last for many years.
For applications where the wire is continuously heated to its maximum operating temperature, its lifespan might be shorter due to the stresses of thermal cycling. However, in moderate use scenarios, such as in household appliances or laboratory settings, the wire can serve effectively for a long time without significant degradation.
Regular maintenance and inspections can also prolong the life of the wire. It’s essential to ensure the wire isn’t subjected to overcurrent situations or environmental factors like corrosive agents, which can adversely affect its lifespan. Always referring to the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for the particular nichrome wire in use will help ensure maximum longevity.
What Safety Precautions Should Be Taken When Using Nichrome Resistance Wire?
- Avoid Overheating: Always be aware of the wire’s maximum operating temperature. Overheating can cause the wire to degrade faster and may even pose a fire hazard in certain scenarios.
- Proper Insulation: If the wire is used in an environment where it can come into contact with other conductive materials, it should be adequately insulated to prevent short circuits.
- Electrical Precautions: Always turn off and unplug electrical devices before working with nichrome wire. Use appropriate safety equipment, like gloves and safety goggles, when handling or cutting the wire.
- Avoid Inhalation: In the unlikely event that the wire is overheated to the point of producing fumes, ensure adequate ventilation. Inhaling fumes from overheated metal can be harmful.
- Regular Inspections: Periodically inspect the wire for any signs of wear, corrosion, or damage. Damaged wire can lead to decreased performance and potential safety risks.
- Safe Storage: Store nichrome wire in a cool, dry place away from children and pets. Avoid storing it in corrosive environments.
- Avoid Water: While nichrome is resistant to oxidation, immersing it in water while it’s hot can lead to thermal shock. Also, water can act as a conductor and create an electrical hazard.
- Handling: The wire can become very hot during use. Avoid touching it directly when it’s in operation. Use tools or wait for it to cool down before handling.
- Limit Mechanical Stress: Avoid bending or stressing the wire excessively, as it might weaken or break the wire over time.
- Know the Specifications: Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for the particular nichrome wire you’re using. This will give you specific insights into its limitations and ideal operational conditions.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, fecral, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘Everything That You Need To Know About Wire‘ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.