Nichrome 90 Heating Wire
The Crazy Wire Company is best know as suppliers of top-quality nichrome 90 heating wire. We have enormous stock levels at all times, as we use this wire to weave our specialist-grade woven mesh products. Our brilliant staff are experts in producing our spools of round wire on our 6 rapid action winding machines. All spools are produced to carry a little extra length to make up for any waste when handling the product.
The 0.08mm (40 AWG)90 heating wire is a versatile and reliable product designed for various applications requiring efficient heat generation and stability. Its high resistance and exceptional durability make Nichrome 90 an excellent choice for applications that require consistent performance over extended periods. Nichrome 90 has the advantage of rapid heat-up, ensuring that devices and systems reach their desired temperatures quickly. At 0.08mm, this heating wire’s thin diameter offers fine precision, making it the perfect tool for intricate designs and detailed projects. There are many applications for ceramic heaters, such as laboratory equipment, kiln elements, and toasters. Because of its resistance to oxidation, it requires fewer replacements over time, resulting in long-term savings. As a result of this stability, the wire is ideal for high-heat operations that require safety and efficacy.
Key product details:
- Diameter – 0.08mm (80 Micron – 40 AWG)
- Ohms/m – 132.0
- Technical Specification:
- Ni – Rest
- Cr – 10.0
- Fe – <1.0
- Magnetic Properties – Nonmagnetic
- Electrical resistance is high
- Corrosion resistance is high
Why Use The Crazy Wire Company
- Quality of products: The Crazy Wire Company always offer high-quality products that meet industry standards and customer expectations.
- Selection: We offer a wide variety of wire products and sizes to meet the diverse needs of our customers. We have more than 600 products available through our site and counting.
- Price: We always offer the best value possible. Our wires are available as part of our major weaving processes, so it is bought at the best possible rate.
- Availability: Our products are kept in house and are ready to ship immediately.
- Customer service: Our experienced staff help our customers feel confident in their purchases and provide assistance when required.
What Else Is Available?
FAQs About This Wire
Are There Any Limitations Of Nichrome 90?
- Oxidation: While nichrome 90 resists oxidation better than many other materials, it can still oxidize at extremely high temperatures. Over time, this can reduce the wire’s efficacy.
- Flexibility: Nichrome 90 is less flexible than some other materials, which means bending or repeatedly flexing the wire can lead to fractures or breaks over time.
- Electrical Conductivity: Nichrome 90 has lower electrical conductivity compared to pure metals like copper. This characteristic is what allows it to produce heat, but it’s also why it’s not used for applications that require high conductivity.
- Cost: Nichrome 90 can be more expensive than some other heating elements due to its unique properties and alloy composition.
- Welding and Soldering: It can be challenging to solder or weld nichrome 90, requiring specific techniques or materials for effective bonding.
- Corrosion: While it’s resistant to many corrosive environments, certain chemicals can corrode nichrome, affecting its lifespan and performance.
- Temperature Limit: Nichrome 90 has a specific melting point, and exceeding this temperature can cause the wire to fail.
Can Nichrome 90 Be Used In DIY Projects At Home?
Absolutely. Nichrome 90 is a popular choice for various DIY projects at home, thanks to its dependable heating properties and durability. Its quick heat-up time and consistent heat distribution make it especially attractive for DIY enthusiasts who require a heating element in their projects. Whether you’re crafting homemade heaters, designing art projects that need consistent warmth, or experimenting with heat-based processes, nichrome 90 provides reliability and efficiency. Its resistance to oxidation ensures that it remains effective over extended use, and its versatility allows for application in diverse home projects. However, it’s essential for DIYers to handle nichrome 90 with care, ensuring they work in well-ventilated areas and use appropriate tools to shape or install the wire. With proper precautions, nichrome 90 can be a valuable asset in a variety of home DIY endeavors.
Can I Use Nichrome 90 In Outdoor Settings?
The use of nichrome 90 in outdoor settings is possible, but some considerations need to be considered. Nichrome 90 performs reliably in a variety of environments because of its resistance to oxidation and high temperature stability. However, it may be exposed to moisture, varying temperatures, and possible chemical agents in outdoor applications. Even though nichrome 90 exhibits good resistance to oxidation, prolonged exposure to damp conditions could reduce its effectiveness. A protective casing or insulation around a wire should be outdoor-rated to ensure its safety and performance. If you use the wire outside, it’s also advisable to periodically inspect it for signs of wear. For optimal performance and longevity, nichrome 90 can be used outdoors, but it must be protected and maintained regularly.
How Do I Properly Install Nichrome 90 Heating Wire?
- Safety First: Before starting, ensure that the power source is turned off and unplugged. Always wear safety gloves and protective eyewear when handling and installing nichrome 90 wire.
- Measure and Cut: Determine the length of the wire you need based on your application’s requirements. Use wire cutters to cut the nichrome 90 wire to the desired length.
- Prepare the Ends: If you’re connecting the wire to terminals or any other component, strip the ends of the wire to expose a small portion of its core.
- Check Resistance: It’s advisable to check the wire’s resistance using a multimeter before installation. This ensures the wire’s specifications match your application’s needs.
- Placement: Position the wire in its intended location. Ensure that it’s stretched evenly without kinks or overlaps. This is vital as overlapping can cause hotspots, leading to uneven heating and potential wire damage.
- Secure the Wire: Use ceramic or high-temperature-resistant insulators to keep the wire in place. Do not let the wire touch any flammable materials or surfaces that might get damaged by heat.
- Connect to Power: Attach the exposed ends of the wire to your power source or control mechanism. Ensure the connections are secure and have good contact.
- Test the Circuit: Before fully powering the system, conduct a quick test. Briefly power the wire to ensure it heats up and no short circuits occur.
- Monitor First Use: The first time you use the wire, monitor its performance. Check for even heating and ensure there’s no smoking or unexpected behavior.
- Regular Maintenance: Periodically inspect the wire for wear, damage, or oxidation. Replace it if you notice any degradation in performance or visible damage.
The Crazy Wire Company is a leading UK based supplier of nichrome, fecral, and stainless steel wires. We specialise in rapid delivery to any location around the country. Our factory is located in Warrington, which is the historic home of the UK’s wire industry.
Check out our blog ‘Everything That You Need To Know About Wire‘ for more information on resistance wire in general. Our goal for our blogs and help guides is to answer as many questions as possible to help to explain the possibilities of mesh to our customers.
We also offer similar products through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.
Contact our team today if you have any questions at all. We are always really keen to help in any way that we can.